Saturday, May 21, 2005

Postgresql 8.0.3 on osx and solaris

postgresqlIs just about 2 week time, I visit postgresql website and found a new version 8.0.3. I have try to compile 8.0.2 on early May. I download the new version and compile on Solaris (2.6 + gcc 2.8.1). Ya gcc 2.8, is very old, but working. I take about an hour(?) (or may be less) on a UltraSparc II (300MHz) machine. I try on MacOS X, it take less than an hour. Anyway it can be easily compile and run on both platform.

After talking with my friend, I decide to take a try to compile mysql, I download the 4.1.12 version. I after few years time I never take a look at mysql, wow is easy to compile as well, but not able to do the timing, may be next time.

postgresql is just easy to compile and use:

to configure and compile
$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql

create database
# make /usr/local/pgsql/data
# chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data

$ initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

startup database server
$ postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
(can't start up as root)

$ psql template1
(template1 is a default database, you can't do much thing with it)

No comments: